Wednesday, December 21, 2005

First real snow of the season or at least was.






The first real snow of the season fell on Sunday. We got ten inches of fresh, beautiful white powder that covered everything. It was great at first but by noon heavy rain was falling and turning everything into frozen slush that plugged up the drains and created minor flooding. I ended up digging out the drains as my neighbors stood around watching the water rising up into their yards. Reminds me of Noah's flood. They probably would have watched it rise up until it hit their doors and would have then run around like headless chickens. Oh well, me and my trusty snow shovel saved my section of the neighborhood. Of course my back is out of wack and strained something furious from lifting fifty pounds of slush per scoop. Ugh.

Oh yeah, the cats really loved the snow also. They seemed to go into a kind of shock when I threw them out into it. I think they're still planning a coup-de-etate and my death. I better watch by back.

The other great and fun thing has been our taking up skiing. I've so far learned that I can fall in ways I never thought possible. I can get down the begginner slopes but have a tendency to become the human snow plow. Oh well, at least there's a nice fire and beer bar at the lodge. Go Snow! If you look into the background of the ski lodge shot of me and my wife you can see an ocean of clouds. Reno was fogged in completely and only 38 degrees. Up at the ski slopes it was 45 and sunny and gorgeous. Made for a great effect like we were on top of the world.

No comments: